- License: free, open source..
- Latest version: 2.3.1, released March, 2018.
- website: http://www.audacityteam.org.
Audacity is a free, open source, cross-flatform audio recording and editing software, and quite accessible to popular screen-reader. Audacity has the folowing main features:
- Cross-flatform: Audacity works on multiple flatform: Windows, Mac, Linux with the similar user interface.
- There is a portable version - easy to use on USB devices.
- Multi track recording, useful for recording podcast, or radio show.
- Record from Sound card (Windows Vista or later), useful for recording favourite radio shows on Internet (streaming audio).
- Theability to edit audio using hotkeys.
- The ability to create audio files in some popular format: Wav, AIFF, MP3, WMA...
- Can be extended feature using plugin.
Audacity is a popular podcast recording and editing for blindpeople, may be because it's free, multi track recording, and easi to use. Beside, Audacity has a team for researching and developing features, write plugins to make it accessible to screen-reader user.
For Jaws users, there is a script to make Jaws work better with the program, written by Gary Campbell, Dang Manh Cuong, and other contributors. More information can be found at: https://github.com/campg2j003.