Basic Grammar In Use (MS 362)
To the Student
To the Teacher
2. Am/is/are (Questions)
3. I am doing (Present Continuous)
4. Are you doing…? (Present Continuous Questions)
5. I do, I work, I like, etc. (Simple Present)
6. I don’t… (Simple Present Negative)
7. Do you…? (Simple Present Questions)
8. I am doing and I do (Present Continuous and Simple Present)
9. I have… and I’ve got…
11. Worked, got, went, etc. (Simple Past)
12. I didn’t… Did you…? (Simple Past Negative and Questions)
13. I was doing (Past Continuous)
14. I was doing and I did (Past Continuous and Simple Past)
15. I used to…
16. Have you ever…? (Present Perfect)
17. How long have you…?
18. For, since, and ago
19. I have done and I did (Present Perfect and Simple Past 1)
20. Just, already, and yet (Present Perfect and Simple Past 2)
21. I’ve lost my key. I lost my key last week. (Present Perfect and Simple Past 3)
22. Is done and was done (Passive 1)
23. Is being done and has been done (Passive 2)
24. Be, have, and do in Present and Past Tenses
25. Regular and Irregular Verbs Future
26. What are you doing tomorrow?
27. I’m going to…
28. Will (1)
29. Will (2)
Modals, Imperatives, etc.
31. Can and could
34. I have to…
35. Would you like…? I’d like…
36. I’d rather…
37. Do this!. Don’t do that!, Let’s do this!
There and it
38. There is/are
39. There was/were there has been / have been there will be
41. I am, I don’t, etc.
42. You have? / have you? you are? / are you?, etc.
43. Too/either and so am I / neither do I, etc.
44. Isn’t…, haven’t…, don’t…, etc. (Negatives)
45. Is it…?, Have you…?, Do they…?, etc.
46. Who saw you? who did you see?
47. Who is she talking to? what is it like?
48. What… Which…?, and How…?
49. How long does it take…?
50. Do you know where… I don’t know what…, etc.
51. She said that… He told me that…
-ing and to…
52. Work/working, go/going, do/doing
53. To… (I want to do) and -ing (I enjoy doing)
54. I want you to… anti I told you to…
55. I went to the store to…
Go, get, do, make, and have
56. Go to… go on… go for… go -ing
58. Do and make
Pronouns and Possessives
60. I/me, he/him, they/them, ere.
61. My/his/their, etc.
62. Whose is this? It’s mine/yours/hers, etc.
63. I, me, my, and mine
64. Myself/yourself/themselves, etc.
65. -’s (Kate’s camera, my brother’s car, etc.)
A and the
67. Flower(s) and bus(es) (Singular and Plural)
68. A car, some money (Countable and Uncountable 1)
69. A car, some money (Countable and Uncountable 2)
70. A/an and the.
72. Go to work go home go to the movies
73. I like music. I hate exams.
74. The… (Names of Places)
Determiners and Pronouns
75. This/these and that/those
77. Some and any
78. Not + any, no, and none
79. Not + anybody/anyone/anything and nobody / no one / nothing
80. Somebody, anything, nowhere, etc.
81. Every and all
82. AH. most, some, any, and no/none
83. Both, either, and neither
84. A lot, much, and many
85. A little / a few and little/few
Adjectives and Adverbs
86. Old, nice, interesting, etc. (Adjectives)
87. Quickly, badly, suddenly, etc. (Adverbs)
88. Old/older and expensive / more expensive
89. Older than… and more expensive than…
90. Not as… as…
91. The oldest and the most expensive
94. He speaks English very well. (Word Order 1)
95. Always/usually/often, etc. (Word Order 2)
96. Still, yet, and already
97. Give me that book! Give it to me!
98. At 8 o’clock, on Monday, in April, etc.
99. From… to, until, since, and for
100. Before, after, during, and while
101. In, at, and on (Places 1)
102. In, at, and on (Places 2)
103. To, in, and at (Places 3)
104. Next to, behind, under, etc.
105. Up, over, through, etc.
106. On, at, by, with, and about
107. Afraid of, good at, etc. (Adjective + Preposition)
At -ing, with -ing, etc. (Preposition + -ing)
108. Listen to, look at, etc. (Verb + Preposition)
109. Go in, fall off, run away, etc.
110. Put on your shoes and put your shoes on
Conjunctions and clauses
111. And, but, or, so, and because
113. If we go…, if you see, etc.
114. If I had…, if we went…, etc.
115. A person who… and a thing that/which… (Relative Clauses 1)
116. The people we met and the hotel you stayed at (Relative clauses 2)
Appendix 1 Active and Passive
Appendix 2 List of Irregular Verbs
Appendix 3 Irregular Verbs in Groups
Appendix 4 Short Forms (he’s/I’d don't, etc.)
Appendix 5 Spelling
Appendix 6 Two-Word Verbs (look out / take off, etc.)
Appendix 7 Two-Word Verbs + Object (put out a fire / try on clothes, etc.)
Answer Key to Exercises
Answer Key to Additional Exercises
Answer Key to Study Guide